Wednesday, November 12, 2008

trufax.



Now, kiddies, listen.

Everyone was very excited about the Obama election, myself included. This was a historical event and a huge triumph for young voters, who turned out in droves to elect the candidate who actually made us believe that there could be hope for this country.

That being said, while a huge step was taken forward for minorities, another giant leap was taken backwards by the passage of anti-gay legislation in Arizona, Arkansas, California, and Florida.

I really don't understand this--how America can come so far but still have so far to go. People who argue against gay rights because of the Bible...it doesn't make sense to me. First of all for the obvious reason, that the laws of the Bible should not, under any circumstances, control the laws of our country. But mostly because, and I mean this sincerely, it's not fair to use the Bible to oppose gay rights.

I'm a fairly religious person. I've read the Bible cover-to-cover and trust me when I tell you it's an interesting read. But you can't use it to defend an anti-gay stance, not unless you're going to use it to protest divorce, shrimp, and polyester as well. You can't pick and choose the passages that suit your bigotry, that's not how it works. I don't know how to make this clear, and I know there's no way to really convince the sort of people who use that kind of reasoning, but seriously. The Bible says that the right to judgment lies with God and God alone, so if you're going to rely on a book to make your decisions, rely on it in a way that helps your fellow man, not in a way that hurts him.

Also, I kind of love Keith Olberman. For serious.

No comments: