Tuesday, November 4, 2008

and again, Obama.

Kittens, history was made tonight.

I realize this has been said over and over and over again, but it remains true.

For the first time in years, I'm proud to be American. For the last eight years, I've been continuously ashamed of the leadership of this country, of the bigotry and hate that became increasingly evident as issues such as gay rights came into the limelight.

In 2004, I caught a glimpse of what was possible when Massachusetts became the first state to legalize gay marriage. It was a really great moment, and I was truly proud of my state.

Over the past few months, watching the campaigns progress, I found myself being continuously disappointed in the way the presidential campaigns were being conducted. And while I may be biased, there is no denying that the Republican party was the one to take unnecessary stabs at Barack Obama's personal life--his birth, his religion, his middle name. I watched people act disgusted at the very idea of a Muslim man running for president, and I could only be disgusted at the show of ignorance showed by those people. Without even waiting to see if rumors about him were true (he's not actually Muslim, by the way, but it shouldn't matter) they seized onto the smallest idea they could use against him, because he was different. Even tonight, in the wake of victory, I found my own friends actually surprising me with really low, disgusting views. I am completely the last person who would discourage a person from having an opinion, but there is a way to express an opinion without sounding immature or foolish.

But overall, America made me proud tonight. We elected, in an overwhelming majority of electoral votes, a strong, honorable, inspiring man who will no doubt give our country the boost she needs to get back on her feet. I have no doubt that under the leadership of President (yes, President) Barack Obama, America will slowly regain the respect of the world that she has lost over the years.

Thank you, America. You made me proud tonight. Good night, and God bless.





And for the love of God, California, get your act together and defeat Prop 8. Seriously.

No comments: