Sunday, January 20, 2008

Light Reading

Religion, I've found, can sometimes be nasty.

People tend to take it upon themselves to inform others that their beliefs are wrong, and then describe, in somewhat unnecessary detail, exactly which of their beliefs are incorrect. And most of these people haven't actually read the Bible--the Old Testament, the New Testament, or any of the add-ons--and only know those few verses that allow people to discriminate and blame it on God.

So, in an effort to make sure I actually know what I'm saying, I'm reading the Tanakh. Torah, Prophets, Psalms, Proverbs, Chronicles, etc etc. I'm sure most wouldn't consider it enjoyable reading, but I tend to be a bit eccentric in my choices of literature.

Knowledge is power in things like religion. In order to be truly religious, one needs to at least try to understand. Reciting prayers is habit and believing what you've been taught to believe is habit, not faith. I want to know exactly what I'm professing to believe in; I want to know what my faith says about things in context, not just sound bites taken to condone or condemn a certain issue.

Also, right-wing Evangelicals tend to annoy me, and I like to know exactly what I'm talking about so I can shoot them down. :P

No comments: